THE RAMBLINGS OF A STRUGGLING ARTIST ON LIFE WITH TWO TERRIERS, A PONY WITH ISSUES AND OTHER WILDLIFE AND BIRDS THAT CROSS OUR PATH

9 December 2014

NOVEMBER BITS AND PIECES


I'm starting to sound like a broken record with the not having enough blogging time. Sorry. It's been a ridiculous fortnight with endless visits, both pleasurable and not. We're preparing for the meeting with everyone involved with OB on Thursday, including the SENCO from Okehampton School where he will go next year. Fingers and everything else crossed that it goes as we would like. My mum gets more and more frail and is taking up more and more of my time. It's so sad to see someone who is basically healthy physically, be destroyed by anxiety. I'm trying to fit in painting my neighbour's house before she reappears on the 23rd which I'm very concerned is going to be unfinished so that she'll walk in to what looks like halfway through a bad daytime TV makeover show. My diabetic appointment is on the 16th but having heard the national news reports specifically about Devon health authorities cutting back on services, I'm expecting a battle. I'm being very negative so I apologise. I'm worried about mum and I find that kind of stress taints everything. Let's look at some nice pictures from November instead. 

When I take the dogs out in the morning it's about 7.30am and I've noticed the very swift change in the light over the past few days. This was from last week when it was a bit lighter but there was an eerie mist. I was able to shoot straight into the sun. 







There are still a lot of birds around after such mild weather. Often by now, the moor is devoid of anything other than members of the crow family. Here's a female Stonechat:


A Reed Bunting - very exciting and thanks Roy for the ID. I just thought it was another Meadow Pipit:


A couple of people have said they think some of my crow pictures are actually Rooks and I'm sure they're right given their sociability. However, I think this IS actually a crow. It was on its own and doesn't have that baldy beak thing going on:


A very tame Robin who waits for me when I'm making up Trigger's food. I throw him/her little bits; I read somewhere that the female's hairline at the front is v-shaped whilst the male's is more u-shaped. This picture clearly shows neither:


The last of the Golden Plovers. The flock has moved on, perhaps as they were being picked off on a regular basis. I have found many piles of Plover feathers over the last month.


The cows are back:


This pony had become separated from the herd and was neighing frantically as it cantered through the grass. I could see its friends over the ridge but he couldn't. The 'friends' were oddly silent!


Jack playing with Dot........


Here she is again on another day. That coat must be such a bonus now it's got cold:


More atmospheric mist:


Winter sun shadows at the stone rows:


More beautiful sunshine:


Autumn colours:



Dew on grasses:


One of the pleasurable visits last week was to chez Rusty Duck (http://www.rustyduck.net/ ) and on the way, I spotted this wonderful stripy field. We drank lots of coffee and ate lovely soup and bread. A great, relaxing morning away from my stresses. Thank you. 


Snippet's still got it.......


...........But he still can't keep up with Jack:


The battle for the stick:



Poor Snippet.


Away the little speedball goes again:



Yesterday I had a text out of the blue from Anna Bonnage (http://www.annabonnage.com/ ) who used to help me when I was addressing Trigger's 'issues'. One of her other clients is looking for a companion for her horse after her other one died suddenly from Sycamore poisoning, something I'd never heard of. Anyway, I spoke to her and she's going to come and see Trigger on Saturday. The idea of his not being here makes me feel very, very sad, but if it would be better for him, I have to do it. She may not like him; he's not easy. I'll keep you posted. 

I know I'm being a useless blogger at the moment and I really appreciate your support. Thanks so much for all your comments on the last post. So until next time, which I hope won't  be after such a long gap, here are those dogs doing what they do best. Have a great rest of the week. 



41 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos again. I do hope the meeting goes well on Thursday,
    Take care of yourself too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear life is so difficult for you at the moment Em xx Stunning photos as always thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to moan about it sometimes! Thanks Chickpea. x

      Delete
  3. Hello Em, brilliant photos and I have loved looking at them. But so very sorry things are difficult right now and do hope they will even out soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My finders are crossed too Denise. Have your cards arrived yet?

      Delete
  4. I love all the shots of the dogs they are having so much fun on the Moors. I also love the cow and the horses as well as all the scenery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one of Jack mid-air is my favourite. I have it as my background now.

      Delete
  5. I love the photo of the fight for the stick! I see what you meant now about the stripy field. How bizarre. Best of luck on Thursday Em, and the 16th. Thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That field is about five or six miles from you I think. Your homework is to try and spot it! x

      Delete
  6. You have taken some superb scenic images especially the silhouettes Em.
    You got the crow right, but the M Pipit is a female Reed Bunting I think and the Stonechat an adult female. Hope you have better news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting having a Reed Bunting! Similar head markings....hence my mistake. The female Stonechat is absolutely tiny and still hanging on to a pair, so I kind of assumed it was a youngster not wanting to leave home! I bow to your superior knowledge and will change captions. Thanks Roy - always appreciate your help!

      Delete
  7. The stripy field is stunning. So much mist and fog! And, may all go well on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the stripy field.

      Delete
    2. I think they're cabbages and kale and things like that but I'd love to go and have a closer look.

      Delete
  8. The stripey field is like an agricultural quilt.
    Chin up, chuck.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to use those colours in a quilt wouldn't it? I'm no quilter though....xx

      Delete
  9. Weather is probably pulling you down as well, good luck with everything, and those photos are just gorgeous. What a wonderful place to live X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is AWFUL today. I'm dreading going out with the dogs.

      Delete
  10. You've got a lot on your plate Em, so I think you're entitled to have the odd negative moment. Great news about Trigger, I'll keep my finger's crossed it works out for you. Lovely pictures as always, shame about the Plovers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really missing those Plovers. So beautiful in flight as they turned with a flash of brightness. I'll just have to wait till next year. How's Poppy's behaviour I wonder? Jack is driving me a bit mad at the moment! xx

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photo shots Em and am so sorry you are going through a stressful time at the moment and am hoping it will all subside for you sooner rather than later my friend.

    Oh no I hope that black/white pony teamed up with the group eventually and your pups are way too cute and funny love them.

    Hope you have a Happy Wordless Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Em I never tire of your doggy photographs, particularly when they are so full of movement as they are today.Hope all the appointments, both for you and OB (and your Mum too) go well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum has alienated the medical community so getting them to take her seriously isn't easy! I never tire of photographing those canine arobats.

      Delete
  13. Sorry to hear about your Mum. I know how worrying it can be having parents who need more help. Do try and make sure you give yourself sometime too as it makes it easier to cope. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try - thanks Sarah. As it happens, I'm about to nip next door to do some more painting of my neighbour's house. Not quite what I think you had in mind! xx

      Delete
  14. Em, I always love to see your blog pop up. I usually save it for when I have time to read it and savor the photos !
    So sorry to hear about your Mum, and OB and the doctor and school meeting. Hope you can keep your appointment.
    I too have had a series of problems so I understand your stress.
    I know it will be sad but I hope she will like Trigger.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She needs to fall in love with Trigger and want to make him happy so we'll see. I did but I like a lame duck!

      Delete
  15. Don't be thinking that you are a bad blogger. What you are is a very busy lady with a lot going on right now and that is just the way that it is. Doesn't make you bad in anyway you know!! I hope that the various appointments go well and that you don't have to fight as hard about your diabetes as you did to get to GOSH for OB. If you do though, go for it as I am sure that it will be worth it in the end if you persevere. I hope that things can perhaps pick up for your Mum and that if you can get some of the other things resolved you will be less stressed about supporting her. It is very hard getting involved in parents lives I know. I am sure that you are doing as well as you possibly can, so really, do not be hard on yourself!! Take care and we will see you again as and when. xx Oh and I hope that all goes well with Trigger. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy. I really appreciate your words. I'm gearing up for that fight at the hospital! xx

      Delete
  16. such happy pups! beautiful birds, too. the ponies are adorable and the landscapes are breathtaking. i am sorry for your current stresses, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have stresses don't we? I do think some people are very good at burying stuff though and I'm not!

      Delete
  17. Lovely photos, as always. Fingers crossed for a new home for Trigger. I have had very bad news from my best friend (Cancer) and she can no longer keep her pony. He is fit and well, but not a 1st pony, 21 yrs young, New Forest, and 13.2, and if you hear of anyone who can offer a permanent home, please shout out.

    Good luck with the health appointments and your mum's problems. Anxiety is so destructive. Would she consider herbal remedies? I used to take Passiflora capsules and they could stop a panic attack in full flight, so know that they work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to order some when I finish writing this - thanks so much for the recommendation. Anything's worth a try.

      As for the pony - I'm so sorry about your friend and re-homing these days is SO difficult, especially when, like Trigger and this one, they're not an easy ride but are small. I'll definitely keep an ear out and if they're not interested in Trigger, perhaps I could mention him to them? I think they want a loan but you never know. x

      Delete

  18. Always remember that when a public servant tells you there is not enough money he is simply lying. Most councils are happy to spend 2 to 3 pounds checking up on each pound that they give out to the public. This is particularly true of social services.

    There are good lawyers, who work for legal aid, who can tie any obstructive civil servant up in knots. If you need a good name let me know, the lawyer we used was very effective in getting our son placed in the correct home for him.

    Going for a walk with a dog is supposed to be good for both stress and diabetes. In fact NHS Devon should be helping you buy the dog food...

    Painting: do it in small managaeble chunks rather than exhausiting your self.

    If I was clever enough to be this calm about my own life I would be insufferably smug, its so easy to suggest things to other people, much harder to do them your self - so good luck and keep up with the blog. You have no idea where in the world I have read it, I was reading Rusty Duck in Joburg last night...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the image of you reading blogs in RSA. Thanks for your words - very helpful. The diabetes situation is not going well but will report soon.....

      Delete
  19. Em, first of all I am sorry to to read abouth the troubling time you are going trough. Second, sorry for the mistakes in my writing in English. But I try.
    Furtermore I love your pictures it shows the person behind the camera and how you look at things.
    Thank you also for becoming a follower of my blog.
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful shots - love the Golden Plover - there are some locally at the moment but have an awful cold and haven't summoned up the energy to go looking.

    So sorry to hear how hectic your life is at the moment - hope appointment with OB went well and good luck with your apptment on the 16th. I hope everything turns out for the best with Trigger. Really sympathise with the problems with your mum - such a shame about the anxiety if she is well physically. I had a lot of problems with my mum a few years ago - she was suffering from alzheimer's and my husband's mother had vascular dementia - the phone never seemed to stop going. They both need 24 hour nursing care and are now in homes but at the time I felt I was constantly tearing my hair out. Do hope you get more time to yourself soon although walking the dogs over that lovely landscape must be a tension soother for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It's great to read them and I will always try to reply.